Phone: 202-599-9001 Call today
Maginnis Law Office
Helping You And Your Family

Modifying A Divorce Decree To Reflect Life Changes

In the months and years following a divorce, your life may change significantly, making a legally binding divorce decree obsolete or inappropriate. The law recognizes this and allows you to request modifications to support orders and custody arrangements. If you need to request a post-divorce modification, turn to the experienced attorney at the Maginnis Law Office for help. For over 35 years, I have been providing solutions to post-divorce issues for parents and former spouses in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area.

A Change In Circumstances

To request a post-divorce modification to an existing support order or child custody arrangement, you must be able to prove you had a substantial change in material circumstances. When considering a modification request for child support or custody, the courts act in the best interest of the child. Possible grounds for seeking a modification include:

  • Involuntary unemployment.
  • A substantial increase or decrease in either spouse's income.
  • A substantial change in the child's physical or mental health.
  • A health problem preventing either spouse from working.
  • The noncustodial parent is supporting other children.
  • A custodial parent wishes to relocate with the child.
  • Substance abuse by either spouse.
  • Criminal activity by either spouse.
  • A supported child is now over 21 years of age or has been emancipated through self-supporting employment.
  • A spouse receiving alimony cohabitates or remarries.

Contact Me To Start The Process

The custody or support modification process can take several months. It involves filing a motion to modify followed by a hearing to review the requested modifications. Motions to modify are granted at the discretion of the judge, but having a lawyer greatly increases your chances of a successful outcome.

To schedule a free case review, contact me online or call 202-599-9001. From my office in the District of Columbia, I serve clients throughout Maryland and northern Virginia.

Set Up Your Free Initial Consultation Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy